In September, after a summer of seeing several of my friends completing obstacle courses, triathlons and half marathons I decided to create my own goal of running a half marathon for the next summer. In creating this goal I recognized my need of new running gear. Although I already have appropriate running and training attire, I believed getting new, attractive sports apparel would better motivate me to actually train for this goal, as well as achieve it.
![]() |
| Couple of the items I purchased |
This is relevant to what was discussed in class recently about why we buy in terms of motivation. We discussed two main theories of motivation in consumer consumption; 1) Drive Theory, 2) Expectancy Theory. Drive theory is related to an inner biological need, something that is rooted into us. Hunger for example would be an excellent example of drive theory motivation. This is not something we control, it is simply something that happens to all of us. Thus, our hunger drives us to purchase food. Expectancy theory however, is behaviours pulled by expectations of achieving desirable outcomes rather than pushed from within. My goal would be a perfect example of expectancy theory.
With my goal, I have expected that with the purchase of new running apparel I will train harder and more frequently, with an end result of running a half marathon. This is not a biological need, it is something I have consciously created for myself.
When really choosing my goal of what I wanted to do in terms of fitness (I knew it would be something fitness related) I considered several options. Perhaps a full marathon or the Tough Mudder obstacle course. However I thought more about what was discussed in class and remembered SMART goal setting. The 'R' is what stood out to me for the marathon, should I really be running a full marathon before even attempting a half marathon? So I decided to choose the option of a simple half marathon. Then I focused on the 's', was it specific? Fairly so, but I added a few details such as which specific event. I chose the Scotiabank half marathon. Was it measurable? Yep! Realistic? I believe with training, yes this goal can be achieved. Lastly, is the goal time-bound? This as well was checked off my list. The Scotiabank half marathon in Ottawa occurs around the same time every year in May, so beginning my goal in September gave me 8 months of training.
![]() |
| Future me (in male form) |
To participate in this event requires the purchase of a ticket, which proves how a simple goal can motivate multiple purchases. Not only was I buying running gear, and a ticket for this event, I was also purchasing sports drinks and good meals. Thus, again showing my point that motivation is a circular force in purchasing.



No comments:
Post a Comment